All Articles

Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Marissa Sankey!

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Marissa Sankey will receive a Leadership Studies Minor and a degree in Entrepreneurship and Management Information Systems from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Marissa!

What are your career plans after graduation?

I want to gain more experience with a Management Information Systems related field and see where that takes me.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

I would like to travel more, both for work and personal interest.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

LD ST 322 was a great class for me to take because I was a freshman at the time and it opened me up to students from various areas of study. I feel like it was a good class to bridge between high school and college life.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

It has allowed me to open my mind up to how other people think differently from me and how we all operate in different ways. It has helped me to understand why people may react to certain situations differently than I might.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I was a member of CyBIZ Lab and Entrepreneurship Club.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

Leadership is understanding others who are different than you and helping them reach their full potential with their goals based on their personal background.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

Going to Greece for a study abroad experience during my junior year was a highlight of my college career. I was able to meet so many different people from a variety of backgrounds and we learned to navigate around the cities there together. It was an experience I will never forget.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Leadership is an important skill to learn regardless of the career path you choose. Even if you have no desire to lead others, it is important that you build the qualities of a leader so that you are able to lead yourself toward your goals in life.