All Articles

Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Payton Lock!

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Payton Lock will receive a Leadership Studies Minor and a degree in Psychology from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Payton!

What are your career plans after graduation?

I am taking a gap year to gain more work experience. I hope to attend Southern College of Optometry in August 2021 with the hopes of becoming an Optometrist.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Through Leadership Studies I have been able to improve upon my teamwork, organization, and communication skills.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

I’d define it as the action of leading a group of people or an organization. Many people feel they are born followers, but an important thing I learned through this program is that everyone can develop leadership qualities. “Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.” – Vince Lombardi

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

During my time at ISU I was involved in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Delta Gamma as the Director of Service Hours, Leadership Studies Club, Pre Optometry Club, and MedLife.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

Attending all of the ISU football games at Jack Trice with my friends (even in the rain).