All Articles

Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Carley Fulcher!

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Carley Fulcher will receive a Leadership Studies Minor and a degree in Civil Engineering and an MBA from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Carley!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Post-graduation I will be working as a structural engineer at an architecture firm in Ames and I am very excited to get to improve my city and the surrounding areas!

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

I’m excited to continue to attend all of Iowa State’s athletic events, but cheering them on from different seats!

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite leadership class was Engineering 250 because it was focused on working in effective teams. All too often, we are working on our own in engineering classes. In the real world, though, engineers are almost always working in teams. This class provided some very valuable information that I reference on a regular basis.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership studies has made me a more well-rounded college graduate and thus, a more attractive job candidate. Having the soft skills that engineers typically lack has allowed me to have my pick of multiple jobs and I am even being fast-tracked through a management program at work.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

Leadership is having the ability to encourage a team to accomplish the goal at hand and give them the tools to do so.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I was a captain of the Mascot Squad and was President of Emerging Leaders in Engineering.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

My favorite memory from Iowa State would have to be collectively meeting all of my best friends. Without this University, I would have never met some of the people that mean the most to me now.