All Articles

Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Sarah Walker!

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Sarah Walker will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and a degree in Anthropology and Sociology with a minor in Statistics from Iowa State University. Sarah also acted as the Vermeer undergraduate intern and a TA for LD ST courses. Congratulations, Sarah!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Post-graduation I will be attending ISU Graduate School for a Master’s in Sociology.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

Post-graduation I would love to continue to travel. My goal is to get to every continent and as many countries as possible.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite Leadership Studies class was LD ST 333 “Women in Leadership” – I took this class during the Sweden study abroad. I liked the class application and examples that were themed and relevant to the location.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies has given me a better perspective for working with and leading different groups of people.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

Leadership is the ability to motivate and develop people to be able to affect positive change on the world around them.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate? 

It sets you apart when interviewing for jobs. Employers are looking for someone who can lead team projects, and this shows you are coming in with experience.