Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Vivian Benjegerdes!

Vivian Benjegerdes will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate, a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Psychology from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Vivian!

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

I am looking forward to finding a fulfilling career, living close to family, becoming financially independent, and enjoying all that is yet to come.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

I loved Speech Communication 312! It was fun feeling like I really got to know my classmates through group speeches and hearing about their passions. I have always enjoyed public speaking, and I feel like I grew a lot in this class.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

It helped me become more well rounded in my education by requiring me to take classes I would not have normally taken, such as speech communication and management.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

I don’t believe there is one set definition of leadership. Leadership looks different in every situation and to every person; however, I would say the most important things a leader needs to be are adaptable, authentic, and passionate.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I participated in Student Admissions Representative (STARs), Cyclone Aide , Alpha Delta Pi, ComSt Club Vice President, ComSt Peer Mentor, Salt Company, and ISU Blood Drive

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

I loved my semester spent in Florence, Italy! But at ISU, I enjoyed cheering on the Cyclones at sporting events, Homecoming Week, being Greek, serving as a Cyclone Aide, and all of the amazing people I met along the way.

Do you have any other memories or thoughts about Leadership Studies that you would like to share?

Leadership Studies courses were some of my most memorable. In LDST 322 we went to Jack Trice Stadium and did team workouts. Definitely not what I expected from the class, but that is part of what made it awesome.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Go for it! Especially if you are in a major (like Communication Studies) that pairs well with it and does not require many extra courses. It was totally worth it!