Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Aliya Johnson!

Aliya Johnson will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Environmental Studies from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Aliya!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Post-graduation I plan to work as a communications specialist in the education industry.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

I can’t wait to be able to travel again! I also look forward to becoming a dog mom.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite LD ST class I took was Speech Communication 312, or Business and Professional Speaking. This class was great for improving my public speaking skills and I learned a great deal on how to give effective presentations. The class was tailored towards real-life situations which I appreciated.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies has taught me the importance and effectiveness of being other-oriented. I developed an appreciation for organizational culture and development. I now look forward to applying the fundamentals I learned in my undergrad towards making a positive impact on organizational values and processes in my future endeavors.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

Being a leader to me means you are someone who is self-aware of your actions and their implications and works towards encouraging strong moral and ethical values to their followers. Strong leaders are empathetic, accountable, humble, and inspirational.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Fraternity Go Green Group. I was a Communication Studies Peer Mentor and Iowa State Department of Psychology Research Assistant.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

Toss-up between storming the field after ISU crushed West Virginia in 2018 and when my team won “Yell Like Hell” and homecoming in 2019!

Do you have any other memories or thoughts about Leadership Studies that you would like to share?

Learning about leadership is applicable in organizational settings however it is also important that you learn how to be a better person for yourself and others in your personal lives.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Earning a LD ST minor or certification shows that you are dedicated to being a part of positive change and that you have the motivation to succeed. This program balances so well with whatever plans you have for your major and/or minor.