Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Morgan Allen!

Morgan Allen will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and a degree in Child, Adult, and Family Services from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Morgan!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Post-graduation I plan to work within the human services field, seeking a position to advocate for the wellbeing and education of youth and their families with a passion for comprehensive sex education and the movement of normalizing healthy conversations about sexual health across Iowa.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

Further goals I have post-graduation are to move in with my loving partner and continue to practice hobbies such as dancing, painting, and exploring the outdoors!

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite Leadership Studies class was LD ST 322, “Leadership Styles and Strategies in a Diverse Society.” This course was one of my favorite classes I took at ISU because I learned how to work better in teams using my strengths and understanding my weaknesses. I created my favorite projects and presentations in this class.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies allowed me to take classes and participate in opportunities that built up my confidence to feel ready to be a professional in my field.  The program has also taught me how to work with other leaders in order to produce a product or a mission we are proud of.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

My new definition of leadership is a combination of personal strengths and confidence to lead others, as well as the ability to communicate, trust, and depend on teammates for ultimate success.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I was a Peer Wellness Educator for Student Wellness on campus for 5 semesters while studying at Iowa State. I was an active member for 7 semesters and former president of Motion Sickness Dance Team. I have also participated in Orchesis 1, Human Sciences Week, and Green Dot.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

My favorite memories at ISU include my time as a student leader for Student Wellness. Leading and supporting my peers in their journey to improving their wellbeing while at ISU has been an opportunity that has taught me more than I could have ever imagined!

Do you have any other memories or thoughts about Leadership Studies that you would like to share?

The group projects and class discussions in my leadership studies class were the best conversations and experiences I have had during an ISU course. Working with other leaders with similar growth mindsets is inspiring and motivating.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

If you are hesitant about completing a Leadership Studies minor or certificate, take a Leadership Studies class first! This class will motivate you to do whatever it takes to better yourself in order to better your community and world.