Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Sarah Mixdorf!

Sarah Mixdorf will receive a Leadership Studies Minor and a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Business from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Sarah!

What are your career plans after graduation?

I plan to grow my skill set through a few years of career exploration. Communication Studies and Leadership Studies will provide me a strong background to do many different things throughout my career, and I want to be prepared for all of them.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

After graduation, I hope to move into part of my life that is more independent. I want to travel and explore part of the world and myself!

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite leadership studies class was 370 which is a special topics course. My course was focused on Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation. This class was my favorite because it was small in size and allowed me to develop my own ideas of what these terms mean to me.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

I feel Leadership Studies has provided a lens on not only my leadership style and my communication as a whole but also the lens through which I see the world. I believe understanding the different types of leadership and followership allows me to connect and understand others better.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

My definition of leadership is an individual who uses their relationships and listening skills to engage the talents and diverse perspectives of a group towards a common goal.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I was the Vice President of the ISU Women’s Volleyball Club.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

My favorite memory of being at Iowa State is the awesome atmosphere and overall beauty of the campus. Regardless of temperature, there was always something awesome and beautiful year-round.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Go for it! I was amazed at how much of an impact this program has made on my relationships. This minor, regardless of your major, will always be applicable throughout your professional career.