Congratulations to Leadership Studies Certificate Graduate, Gage Larson!

Gage Larson will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and a degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Gage!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Working with individuals on the Autism Spectrum or Project Management.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)?

I plan on traveling to Norway to see my family after I graduate. I have relatives still there and it would be my treat to myself after finally graduating. I didn’t have the traditional 4 years and done. I’ll continue to grow and learn and expand my experiences and perspectives.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? Why?

Leadership dynamics was by far one of my most interesting classes. Having the opportunity to practice what was taught in a safe environment was key to developing my own methods of implementing leadership qualities in myself. Truly after taking these courses, I’ve been able to see group dynamics at play much more clearly.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

To reimagine how we define leadership to address the difference between authority and leadership and its influences on people’s actions.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

A genuine leader is not about power but vision and a responsibility to instill positive change. That what you do has a larger impact than what you say. Above all else its not a title or position but a life choice to influence others. That leadership is the devotion not to ones own growth but the devotion to see others grow.

What activities, clubs, or groups were you a member of at ISU?

Club LAX.

What awards, recognition, accomplishments, or scholarships did you receive while attending Iowa State University?

Deans list one year, acceptance into national leadership society.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Leadership Studies might be a minor, certificate, but it’s just as important and vital as a major.