Congratulations to Leadership Studies Certificate Graduate, Elaina Beck!

Elaina Beck will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and an Astronomy Minor and a degree in Women’s and Gender Studies from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Elaina!

What are your career plans after graduation?

I would like to work with women in STEM in some capacity. Helping make more welcoming environments had been a passion of mine since I saw first hand the inequities in the physics department, and I know those women deserve better than what they are given. For now, I’ve accepted a short-term customer service position which I hope can help me polish my people-skills.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)?

I currently have a small platform on TikTok, and I’m hoping that grows so I can not only entertain but also help educate on social justice issues. Many issues I care about are under-talked about, and I’d love to help them get more exposure.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? Why?

LDST 488 with Dr Stoehr. As a WGS professor, Dr. Stoehr really made sure students understood inequities on a deeper level than we got to in some of the other classes.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

A process in which you help direct people towards common goals while also helping them develop as people who take charge to try and make change.

What activities, clubs, or groups were you a member of at ISU?

The Society of Women in Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy club The Pride Alliance Trieste and the Meaning of Place study abroad to Trieste, Italy THRIVE: A Program for Emerging LGBTQIA+ Leaders Women in Science and Engineering study abroad to London, England.

What awards, recognition, accomplishments, or scholarships did you receive while attending Iowa State University?

Bernice Black Durand Undergraduate Research Scholarship, Dean’s List and Group research presented at ISCORE.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

I would highly recommend taking the political science course instead of the management course unless you’re some sort of a business major.