Congratulations to Leadership Studies Minor Graduate, Beth Modra!

Beth Modra will receive a Leadership Studies Minor, a Sustainability Minor and a degree in Architecture from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Beth!

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? Why?

I found the Leadership in a Diverse Society the most useful. I took it before restructuring of the theory class, so I am not sure to what extent it is the same anymore. I found that identifying my own strengths as a leader in this class helps me to be able to identify other people’s strengths. This improves how I function within a group and can lead to more productive outcomes no matter the task.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies has impacted the way I view people who are in positions of power within organizations and politics. It has allowed me to try to understand their point of view and how the work that I do can improve the world around me.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

Leaders is not just those who have power or who are in charge. Leadership is commitment and everyday actions that work to create to better society as a whole. It is treating your peers as valuable.

What activities, clubs, or groups were you a member of at ISU?

Figure Skating Club at ISU, Iowa Women in Architecture, and Student Chapter

What awards, recognition, accomplishments, or scholarships did you receive while attending Iowa State University?

Arvid & Gayle Osterberg Design Scholarship Dean’s List

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

Do it! You will allow you to explore your strengths as a leader and it will give you the tools talk about things that are important to you outside of the classroom.