All Articles

Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Ashley Shelstad!

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Ashley Shelstad will receive a Leadership Studies Certificate and degrees in Supply Chain Management and International Business from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Ashley!

What goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

After graduation, I plan to continue to travel! I have learned so much from my study abroad experience, and I want to continue to meet new people and learn more about the world.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite leadership class was LD ST 270. I took this class during my freshman year of college, and it set me up for success! I was able to connect more to the Ames community through my service with CHI, and I gained confidence in myself and my leadership abilities. I made many valuable connections in the course, and it made me feel as though Iowa State was truly my new home.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies helped me gain confidence for myself and my future. As a senior, I now have confidence to talk to anyone I meet, and I feel as though I naturally am able to help lead in my group projects while making everyone feel valued as part of the group. I also have confidence during interviews as leadership studies has helped me discover my own values and how to share those to others.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

My favorite memory from being at ISU is football season. Gamedays have always been so much fun being surround by friends, family, and fellow ISU students.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

This program set me up for success in my college career. As a shy, scared freshman, this program helped give me confidence in myself and my studies to succeed. I learned how to better work within many individuals which helped in my group projects and internships. This program should be considered by everyone because of this confidence and understanding one can gain.