Congratulations to 2020 Leadership Studies graduate, Courtney Luu!

Courtney Luu will receive a Leadership Studies Minor and a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Sociology from Iowa State University. Congratulations, Courtney!

What are your career plans after graduation?

Post-graduation I plan to obtain a position in Communication, Human Resources, and/or Recruitment in the Des Moines area. I am open to any job position that works closely in team-settings.

What other goals do you have for your life after graduation (hobbies, travel, self-improvement, etc.)? 

My goal is to eventually earn a leadership position in an organization or company that I am passionate about. I would like to travel anywhere in Europe or Asia, learn more about those cultures, visit significant monuments, and try all the popular food and beverages within those areas.

What was your favorite Leadership Studies class? And why?

My favorite Leadership Studies class was LD ST 322, “Leadership Styles and Strategies in a Diverse Society”. This course allowed me to think critically about what kinds of leadership approaches I would take and how my social identity influences my leadership style preferences. In the class, we also watched a lot of videos, documentaries, and movies that touched on power, privilege, gender, ethnicity, and more. Overall, this course has a sociological aspect to it that I am highly fascinated by, and I learned a lot about myself as a leader after completing the assignments and projects.

How do you feel Leadership Studies has made an impact on you?

Leadership Studies has helped me gain new perspectives about the ways in which we can lead. It has impacted me positively by pushing me to take on leadership roles within ISU organizations which inspires me to aim for a leadership position in my future career. Leadership Studies has shown me that there is no one perfect way of leading, but rather multiple ways of going about leadership. Being a leader can be challenging, but highly rewarding.

After your time in the program, what is your definition of leadership?

My definition of leadership is taking initiative and working with a team to achieve shared goals, while aiming to make an impact to where the team sees growth and positive change.

What activities, clubs, groups were you a member of at ISU?

I am a member of Golden Key International Honour Society, National Society of Leadership and Success, an Ensemble Leader for the ISU No Re-Choir-Ment A Cappella Club, and the Secretary of Communication Studies Club.

What is your favorite memory from being at ISU? 

My favorite memory from being at ISU is getting to know my peers in Communication Studies and Leadership Studies, building relationships with faculty members, and performing in my a cappella club.

What would you say to someone considering a Leadership Studies minor or certificate?

I would tell this person to go for it. Pursuing the Leadership Studies minor or certificate not only looks impressive on a resume; you will genuinely learn a lot about yourself as a leader and person. The classes are beneficial and even enjoyable to take because they challenge you and allow you to make in-class connections to real-life situations. I truly believe that the Leadership minor has helped me better prepare to become a future leader.